I was very fortunate over my two week break at the beginning of the year to spend one of my weeks in Mexico. The main objective of the week was to see the sun and avoid adult responsibilities so we choose to stay at an all-inclusive resort. Even though I was really looking forward to having a week to disconnect and reconnect with myself, I was concerned about the eco-footprint that I would leave behind.
My main concern was about single use plastics that I would have to use during our travels. I was really surprised and excited by how many things I was able to avoid just by bringing along my own travel mug.
Here are the ways that my mug helped me reduce the amount of single use plastic that I generated while away for a week.
- filled my mug up at the refill station at the airport so I didn’t have to buy bottled water
- got water on the airplane without having to use a plastic cup
- the resort we stayed at had water stations that they refilled from jugs of water so I was able to get water throughout the day without having to use bottled water.
- I was able to get my morning latte to go without having to get a disposable cup
- The resort we stayed did not automatically put a straw in your drink which was nice and only a few times did I have to say “no straw”
I love travelling and plan to do a bunch more in the future. I really loved how the simple act of travelling with my mug allowed me to avoid seven days’ worth of single use plastic items.
I hope that sharing my story of how one mug was able to make a big difference will inspire you to rethink what you pack on your next adventure.